Student Development & Success and Holton Health and Wellness Services have adapted a list of tips for mental health and wellness during this time of quarantine. The list is originally written by Eileen Feliciano, Psy.D.
- Stick to a routine. Go to sleep and wake up at a reasonable time, write a schedule that is varied and includes time for work as well as self-care.
- Get out at least once a day, for thirty minutes. If you are concerned about contact, try first thing in the morning, or later in the evening, and try less traveled areas. Breathe in fresh air to lift your spirits.
- Develop a self-care toolkit. Most successful self-care strategies involve a sensory component, movement, and proprioceptive (comforting pressure). Some examples include-touch: a soft blanket, taste: hot chocolate, sight: photos of vacations, sound: comforting music, smell: lavender, etc.
- Lower expectations and practice radical self-acceptance. We are doing too many things at this moment, under fear and stress. You cannot fail at this—there is no roadmap, no precedent for this, and we are all truly doing the best we can in an uncharted and challenging situation.
- Limit social media and COVID-19 conversation. Information on COVID-19 surrounds us everywhere and changes minute to minute. Find a few trusted sources that you can check in with consistently daily.
- Reach out for help to a trusted friend or a therapist. If you are having difficulty coping, seek out help for the first time. SAU Counseling Services is ready to help you (email email@example.com). Seek support groups with others in order to feel connected.
Practices to Manage Anxiety:
- Disrupt the anxious thoughts by writing comforting truths or sayings on post-it notes and placing them in commonly viewed spaces (bathroom mirror, bedroom door, planner, computer screen, etc.).
- Play calming songs or music that soothe you
- Slowly sip a warm drink
- Try deep breathing (as few as 3 deep breaths can slow your heart rate)
Spiritual Practices to Manage Anxiety:
- Connect with a spiritual mentor
- Read and recite scripture
- Say a scripture or the Lord’s Prayer or sing a worship song for 20 seconds as you wash your hands
- Journal about your experiences & hold space for the Holy Spirit to respond
Additional Helpful Resources:
Scripture Verses About Fear & Anxiety
- Abide – Christian Meditation