Spring Arbor University


Minors added to your degree can give you a competitive edge in the job market. These minors are usually only available to students that are already enrolled in an accelerated degree program through Spring Arbor University.

Please note, graduate students may register for minor courses at $155 per credit hour.  

English as a Second Language Minor

English as a Second Language Minor

Spring Arbor University students enrolled as an undergraduate at one of SAU’s off-site programs, who have a desire to teach English in community-based programs or abroad, may pursue an English as a Second Language minor to their teaching certificate.

Community-based Minor

The 21-hour community-based minor minor prepares students to teach English as a second language to children and adults with varying degrees of English-speaking and writing proficiencies, who come from diverse backgrounds. Students are taught how to teach English listening, speaking, reading and writing.

Students will gain the skills necessary to meet the English-speaking needs of an ever-growing population of immigrants to the United States. The minor is also suitable for those looking to go abroad and teach English as a second language.

Students are required to have a practicum experience while enrolled in the program, which may include being sent into the student’s community to teach ESL.

Classes are delivered in a variety of ways including online, evening and weekend courses, as well as other convenient delivery modes that were developed with the working student in mind.

Teacher Education Students

Completion of this minor will allow teacher education candidates to add an ESL minor to their elementary or secondary teaching certification. Completion of the program for teacher education majors will be determined based on completion of all program courses, practicum experiences  and the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC). This program has been approved by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE).

International Students

For international students enrolled on the main campus, who are interested in taking English as a second language courses, visit the Academic Student Connections website to learn about the different courses available to you.

Print the Informational Sheet

To get an in-depth look at the English as a second language minor, to read course descriptions and see course layouts, view the course catalog, taken from the academic catalog.



Comments are closed.