Senior Lauren Koetje dreams of coffee

Lauren KoetjeMy name is Lauren and I am a current senior at Spring Arbor University. I am thrilled to have only one semester left, but also anxious about what might come next. Do I move home to my family and friends on the west side of the state, stay in Jackson or move across the country? We’ll see!

During the school year, you can find me on the second floor of the Poling Center, behind the bar at Sacred Grounds or singing in chapel band.

This summer, I am fulfilling my internship requirement at Fortress Cafe in Jackson, Michigan. This has been an incredible experience so far! During my sophomore year, I changed my major to Business Administration to become equipped to start and own my own coffee shop. Through my experience at Fortress, I get to see the ins and outs of what a coffee shop startup actually looks like while operating inside of a startup incubator, “The Lean Rocket Lab.”

My boss (Spring Arbor alumnus, Duncan Bone ’12) and new friends at the Lab have encouraged me to follow my dream of opening my own coffee shop. The support I’ve received has been incredible! I look forward to building on my dream and continuing to shape my ideas through what I am learning and experiencing at Fortress and the Lean Rocket Lab.