Spring Arbor University

Transfer Policy

Spring Arbor University considers coursework for transfer only after receiving an official transcript from the sending institution. A transcript is only official as designated by the sending institution and sent directly from that sending institution to SAU. SAU does not accept hand-delivered transcripts.

SAU defines transfer credit as college-level coursework earned at degree-granting colleges or universities holding accreditation or candidacy status by a regional accrediting association, or accrediting organizations recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the U.S. Department of Education. Coursework from institutions that do not meet the criteria above may be considered for transfer on a case-by-case basis only when the transfer student is able to provide written evidence that the coursework meets standards normally found at accredited institutions related to length of course, appropriate credentialed faculty, course content, learning outcomes, and other factors considered by Spring Arbor University. The Office of Registration and Records in consultation with SAU academic departments will be the final determiners of transfer credit. Credit accepted for transfer will be recorded on the student’s SAU transcript.

The transfer GPA from other institutions is not calculated into SAU cumulative GPA. Other institutional GPA may be combined with the SAU GPA to be used as criteria for determining certain academic eligibilities.

Students who have matriculated to SAU and wish to take coursework elsewhere with the intent on transferring the credit back to SAU must obtain transfer authorization from the SAU Office of Registration and Records. Students who fail to obtain transfer authorization before enrolling at another institution run the risk of credits not transferring.

A maximum of 68 semester hours can be transferred from a community college to programs offered on the main campus. After students have earned 68 hours from a community college, no additional coursework may be transferred from a community college without adequate justification and prior written approval. A maximum of 20 semester hours of technical credit may be transferred to apply toward a main campus academic program. A maximum of 94 credits can be transferred from a four-year institution.

Transfer credit for military experience will be accepted if the student’s Joint Services Transcript is received from the DODED. If for some extraordinary reason transcripts are not available, the Office of Registration and Records may evaluate a DD214. A maximum of two MOS’s (Military Occupational Specialty) are used in generating military credit, and each must have been held for at least one year. The DD214 should have a complete summary of activity while serving. However, when the record is not complete, copies of certificates verifying course completion can be useful in giving more complete information for evaluation. ACE recommendations are used in awarding credit for military experience.

International transfer credit must be evaluated by an international credit evaluation service such as World Education Services (https://www.wes.org/).

Coursework with a grade below “C” (2.0) will not be accepted for transfer. Courses graded with “P” (Pass) or “CR” (Credit) will not transfer unless institutional policy states that “P” or “CR” is equivalent to at least a 2.0. Courses numbered below 100 or are indicated on the sending transcript as below college-level courses are not considered for transfer.

Spring Arbor University is a signatory member in the Michigan Transfer Agreement. The intent of the agreement is to insure that a student who completes an associate in arts degree at a signatory college will have satisfied the basic two-year requirements of the signatory four-year college upon transfer to the four-year institution. “MTA Agreement Satisfied” must be stamped on the community college transcript. The two-year institution verifies that a student has met the terms of the agreement. A student who has not met the MTA Agreement upon transfer is subject to all Spring Arbor University academic requirements current at the time of matriculation. Contact the Office of Registration and Records for further details.

Other transfer policies may apply to specific programs and can be found in program sections of this catalog or the program handbooks. Students transferring to SAU Global programs should refer to the SAU Global section of the catalog for transfer requirements.

Regardless of the number of credit hours transferred, all graduation requirements must be met for a degree to be conferred, including all General Education curriculum and major course requirements.