Spring Arbor University link home

Complaint Resolutions

Spring Arbor University strives to provide a quality Christian education in a vibrant and safe environment. At times students may feel personally dissatisfied with a single interaction with a SAU employee, policy, or process. When a student has a complaint, resolution should be sought through informal communication (face-to-face, email, or phone) with the appropriate staff member, instructor, dean, or administrative officer who may be able to help rectify or clarify the situation before an official complaint is initiated.

If the issue is unresolved through informal communication, then the student should contact the appropriate Vice President in order to lodge an official complaint. Official complaints will be filed by the student filling out and submitting the SAU Complaint Form, which is available by contacting the appropriate Vice President.

  • Academic Affairs – Dr. Kimberly Rupert
  • Student Development & Success – Dr. Kim Hayworth
  • Advancement/Alumni Relations/Athletics – Dr. Doug Wilcoxson
  • Business Office/Financial Aid/Technology Services/Physical Plant/Food Service – Mr. Kevin Rose
  • Enrollment – Mr. Jon Bahr
  • All Others – Mr. Damon Seacott

Online & Distance Education
Spring Arbor University is an institution operating under the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) and offers online courses and degree programs in all states that are members of this agreement. SAU also operates in the three states that are not members of SARA.

In accordance with regulations issued by the US Department of Education, institutions offering distance education must provide enrolled students with contact information for filing complaints.

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) States

Participating SARA states as of January 1, 2017: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

States that are not yet members of SARA are: California, Florida, and Massachusetts.

How to File a Complaint

Out-of-state online students enrolled in Spring Arbor University online courses or degree programs should attempt to resolve any issues or complaints internally using the process outlined above. If after following the University complaint process, the issue or complaint is not reasonably resolved, it is appropriate to file a complaint concerning SAU with the state agency for handling complaints in the student’s state (MI LARA for all SARA states, or direct links provided for California, Florida, or Massachusetts). Complaints may also be directed to the accrediting agency, Higher Learning Commission (HLC).

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
If a student residing in a SARA state is not satisfied with the institutional resolution of a complaint related to an SAU course the institutional decision may be appealed to:


Agencies for Non-SARA States
Students who reside in California, Florida, or Massachusetts and wish to file a complaint may do so using the appropriate link:

  • California – California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education; 916.431.6959


  • Florida – Florida Department of Education; 850.245.0407


  • Massachusetts – Massachusetts Department of Higher Education; 617.994.6950


Accrediting Agency

The Higher Learning Commission accredits Spring Arbor University. Students may directly register complaints with HLC by e-mailing complaints@hlccommission.org