Spring Arbor University

Residence Life

Living on a college campus is an exciting aspect of higher education. Many people have fond memories of their college years — from late night philosophical discussions with roommates to spontaneous outbursts of music and singing to that last study session with your best friends. By cultivating and encouraging active participation in this close-knit, intentionally Christian community, Spring Arbor University is committed to providing you with the best possible residence life experience, but we can’t do it alone. Your contribution to campus culture and community is just what we’ve been waiting for.

For more information on housing, contact Bobby Pratt at 517.750.6532 or robert.pratt@arbor.edu.

Personalizing your room

Spring Arbor University extends the privilege of personalizing individual rooms. The goal is to create an enjoyable, living environment, which is consistent with the philosophy of the Spring Arbor University community.

  • Occupants are expected to keep their rooms clean.
  • Items not in keeping with the character of the University are not to be displayed in student rooms or on University property. These include wall coverings which involve nudity or are otherwise morally objectionable or socially offensive, containers for alcoholic beverages, and other alcohol and drug related paraphernalia (e.g. signs, posters, clocks, etc.).
  • Nails, screws, tape, or other adhesives which cause damage or leave sticky residue on the walls or surface may not be used. Double sided sponge tape is not acceptable.
  • Candles and incense are not permitted, lit or unlit.
  • Halogen lamps are not permitted.
  • School furniture must remain in the campus residence at all times.
  • Pets, with the exception of fish, are not permitted.
  • Painting rooms is not allowed.
  • Use of wallpaper or contact paper is not acceptable.
  • The possession of property owned by private agencies such as realtors and contractors, or the property of public agencies or utilities is appropriate only when used with their expressed permission.
  • The use of personal electrical appliances is limited because of the safety and sanitation needs created by living in a community. Consequently, cooking appliances are not permitted, with the exception of automatic coffee makers, and hot pots. Enclosed cooking devices, such as the George Foreman Grill, may only be used in kitchen areas. Microwaves, hot plates, toaster ovens, and electric space heaters are not permitted in the residence halls.
  • Students may have small refrigerators in their rooms (6 cubic feet or smaller).
  • Electrical wiring, switches, outlets or fixtures must not be tampered with.
  • Only one extension cord per outlet is acceptable. No multi-plug receptacles or adapters may be attached unless they contain an internal fuse or circuit breaker with a maximum rating of 15 amps.

What you can bring/What you should leave home

If you’re thinking about what should be on your packing list for college, consider our list of dos and don’ts regarding what should be on that list. For additional information, please consult the Student Handbook.

Included in your room:

  • Bookshelf
  • Bed/mattress
  • Desk/lamp hutch
  • Dresser
  • Phone – rooms are network accessible

For personalizing your room:

  • Bedspread or comforter
  • Posters, pictures, plants
  • Memo board
  • Lamp
  • Couch/chair
  • Sticky tack for posters

For snacks:

  • Hot pot
  • Mug (coffee, tea, soup)
  • Bowl and silverware
  • Mini refrigerators – 6 cubic ft. or less

For wearing:

  • Casual clothing (pants/skirts, jeans, shirts/blouses, dresses, sweaters, shorts, sweats, hats)
  • Dress clothes for Sunday and special occasions
  • Raincoat, winter coat, boots, gloves, scarves, hat
  • Bathrobe, slippers, flip-flops
  • Shoes (dress, casual, sandals, athletic)

For recreation:

  • Camera
  • Frisbee
  • TV/DVD/Blu-Ray
  • Football
  • Golf clubs
  • Bicycle
  • Tennis racket/balls
  • Swimming suit
  • Baseball glove

For everyday use:

  • Alarm clock
  • Extension cords/power strip with circuit
  • Hangers
  • Pillows, sheets, blankets (Mattresses are not standard size; extra long sheets fit best)
  • Towels, washcloths
  • Bathroom caddy (for carrying essentials to bath)
  • Laundry detergent, fabric softener, laundry basket, quarters for operating washers and dryers
  • Shampoo, toothpaste, soap, Kleenex, etc.
  • Health insurance card
  • Social Security card
  • Window fan
  • Backpack
  • Lamp
  • Crates for storage
  • Computer

For occasional use:

  • Umbrella
  • Iron
  • Sewing kit
  • First-aid kit (Band-aids, aspirin, etc.)

What to leave at home:

  • Pets
  • Microwave
  • Hot plate
  • Toaster oven
  • Telephone answering machine (provided)
  • Candles, incense, halogen lamp

Housing FAQ

  • What furniture is provided for each student in campus housing? Desk, desk chair, bed, extra long twin mattress, hutch, bookcase and a dresser.
  • Do I have Internet access in my room? Yes, students who live in the residence halls, village houses and apartments have RES Net (our high speed connection) in their rooms.
  • Does my room have a phone? You may request a phone. Each phone has a voice mail and an individual PIN for long distance calling.
  • What size sheets do I need to bring? Extra long twin.
  • Where is the nearest laundry facility? Each of the living areas has laundry facilities on-site.
  • Do students have to live on campus?Spring Arbor University recognizes the value of the interaction between students who live and learn together in Christian community. With this in mind, SAU students are required to live on campus unless they meet one of the following criteria:
    • 22 years of age
    • Married
    • Independent status as defined by the financial aid office
    • Involved in a student teaching semester
    • Living at home with parent(s)
    • Exceptions may be granted by petition for students wishing to live with a guardian, pastor or faculty/staff personnel.

    What is an RD?

    A Residence Hall Director is a professional staff member who supervises, manages and directs the residence hall and staff. SAU RDs live in the resident halls and are all college graduates.

    What is an RA?

    A Resident Assistant is a fellow student living on your floor or in your building who provides leadership to his or her particular living area. RAs receive professional training and provide guidance to students from a peer perspective.

For more info on housing, contact Bobby Pratt at 517.750.6532 or robert.pratt@arbor.edu.