Skip to main content

Miss Muffitt: 1941-2019

Muffitt Hall

External demolition of Muffitt Hall began this week on our Spring Arbor campus. After several years of monitoring and making renovations, we realize that Muffitt no longer meets the needs of our students. Removing Muffitt will allow for additional green space to be integrated into our plaza. We plan to develop a memorial for Muffitt to help remember the impact this residence hall has had on many lives.

By Susan Panak

Muffitt Hall has been a longtime fixture on SAU’s campus. Muffitt has been a welcoming home away from home for many students and has provided the space for countless lifelong friendships to be built. The bonds that have been formed through the shared experience of living in Muffitt Hall are still shared by many of our alumni today.

With a $40,000 budget, Muffitt was constructed in order to provide improved housing for female students. Its predecessor, the century-old Women’s Building, was built in 1846, but it was demolished due to many ailments. The Women’s Building, also known as the Ladies’ Hall, housed 28 female students and claimed to be the oldest dorm building still in existence in the state of Michigan.

Muffitt, the new mid-century residence hall, was put in use in October 1941 and officially dedicated on June 7, 1942. Originally built to house 50 women, as well as the President’s Office, Registrar’s Office and Assessment Center. Muffitt Hall was dedicated to honor Rev. and Mrs. W. C. Muffitt. The Muffitts were generous supporters of the school and assisted as many as 68 students over the years as Rev. Muffitt served as Pastor at the Spring Arbor Free Methodist Church in the 1930s.

Over SAU’s history, demolition of buildings has been a sign of progress on its campus. This progress is aimed to better serve the university students. This summer, demolition of Muffitt Hall was scheduled due to irreparable damage to the foundation of the building.

In honor of all women who have lived in the hall and the memories that they have shared — their late-night conversations, hours of studying, missed alarm clocks and inside jokes and the lifelong friendships that were formed — we would like to offer any alumni, parents and friends the opportunity to purchase a commemorative engraved brick from Muffitt Hall. To order your brick or make a gift toward the Muffitt memorial, please visit

As we continue to make way for progress, we are excited for the campus improvements that are currently underway. Thanks to several donors who have prioritized the beautification of our campus, significant improvements have already begun. To see the full campus master plan, visit