The education program at Spring Arbor University prepares students to teach at the elementary and secondary levels through the discussion and application of the key concepts and skills of teaching. Our curriculum applies psychological and sociological principles to the theories and techniques of education.
Students pursuing certification in secondary education can choose from the following majors and minors. Please note that these letter codes are the official certification codes used by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE).
- Major or Minor: Biology (DA), Chemistry (DC), English Education (BA), History (CC), Mathematics (EX), Spanish (FF), Speech and Drama (BD)
- Minor only: French (FA), Physics (DE), Political Science (CD), Psychology (CE), Teaching English as a Second Language (NS)
- Major only: Music Education (JQ), Social Studies (group, RX), Special Education: Learning Disabilities (SM)
Students pursuing certification in elementary education can choose from the following majors and minors.
- Major or Minor: Early Childhood (ZS), Language Arts (BX), Mathematics (EX), Spanish (FF)
- Minor only: French (FA), Integrated Science (DI), Reading (BT), Teaching English as a Second Language (NS)
- Major only: Social Studies (RX), Special Education: Learning Disabilities (SM)
- Minor only (non-certification, no endorsement):Special Education (Non-Cert.)
Students desiring Michigan certification are responsible for meeting all certification requirements of the Michigan Department of Education and the State Board of Education, whether or not they are explicitly stated in the SAU catalog.
The SOE policies apply to all Spring Arbor University sites. However, procedures for carrying out certain policies may vary from site to site. Certain certifiable majors and minors are available at the main campus only. A student wishing to participate in these majors and minors must register for and attend classes at SAU’s main campus in Spring Arbor, Michigan.
For more information on the elementary and secondary education programs at Spring Arbor University, visit SAU’s School of Education webpage.