Skip to main content

International Students

Admission Requirements

International students will need to meet the criteria designated for their graduate program and submit the following materials:

  • Evidence of language proficiency if English is not the student’s native language. Students may take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (Must receive a minimum score of 600 if taken in person or 100 if taken online) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Must receive a minimum score of 7.0 with no band score below 6.5).
  • Evidence of financial resources.
  • Official transcripts of all coursework completed outside the United States. Transcripts must be submitted to an evaluation service for validation, course equivalency and/or degree. Acceptable evaluation services can be found via the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Our preferred service is the World Education Services (WES) ICAP (International Credential Advantage Package).
  • Evidence of medical insurance (if program requires a residency).

International students will also need to take the following steps:

  • Obtain a visitor visa (if program requires a residency).
  • Arrange to pay tuition and fees in U.S. currency.

Submitting Your WES Application

International students should complete the WES online application to begin their transcript evaluation request. SAU’s code number is 1732. Do not pay for the WES evaluation until you are certain that the required documentation (see below) was received by WES. You may check with WES via email or telephone using your full name and account reference number.

Carefully follow WES instructions for submitting your documents. Requirements can vary by country. View the required documents for individual countries. In most cases, you will need:

  • A photocopy of your college diploma(s) or certificate(s). You will mail this directly to WES.
  • Official transcripts issued by the institution(s) attended for all post-secondary programs of academic study. Request that your college mail your official transcript directly to WES, not yourself, for the evaluation.

Transcripts not in English must first be translated into English. Then the translation company must send a certified translation of your transcripts together with your original language transcripts directly to WES.

Reminder: Be sure to select the WES ICAP option that stores your verified transcripts and WES evaluation report. Academic institutions receive a package that contains your evaluation report together with copies of the academic transcripts that are stored at WES. Your transcript and evaluation are ready to be sent in one comprehensive package to any educational institution, at any time, even many years later.

WES Address

*Check with WES before sending materials to ensure that the address below is still correct.

To send documents via postal mail, address them to

World Education Services
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087

To send documents via express courier, address them to

World Education Services
64 Beaver St., #146
New York, NY 10004