Skip to main content

International Student Employment

As an international student, you are only permitted to work on SAU’s campus if a job is available. International students cannot work off-campus, unless given special permission for Optional Practical Training – OPT. However, before you can start the process of applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) to be able to work on-campus, you must be enrolled in classes at SAU for 30 days. After that 30-day waiting period, you may apply for your SSN. The processing time varies, but you could be approved by mid-semester, but depending on individual circumstances, it should take longer. Campus jobs are limited, so we cannot guarantee that you will find a campus job.

NOTE: Funds intended to be earned on campus may not be included as a source of funds on your I-20 Form since that money is not available at the time you enroll. However, the money earned may be used for personal expenses while enrolled or saved to apply to future semester costs.