If you’re thinking about transferring to SAU as a traditional, undergraduate student with an assortment of credits from at least one other institution — don’t worry! Chances are, you can come to SAU with much more than your good name.
- As a transfer student, you must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher for regular admission.
- If you are transferring with fewer than 26 semester hours, you must have official high school transcripts or GED scores and official SAT, ACT or CLT scores sent directly to SAU (we accept CLT scores of 66 and above).
- Have all the colleges and universities you have attended send your official transcripts to SAU’s Office of Admissions.
Sign and submit a Release of Information [PDF] form from the last college you attended if you lived on campus and attended within the last four years.
Send your information to:
Spring Arbor University
Office of Admissions
106 E. Main St.
Spring Arbor, MI 49283-9799
Application for Admission
- If you are coming in as a traditional, undergraduate student, apply online.
- If you are coming back to SAU as a returning student, you’ll need to submit an Application for Readmission.
- If you are a student who has applied in the last five years but didn’t enroll, please fill out the Application to Re-Apply.
A number of scholarships are available to students who wish to transfer to SAU. Learn more about scholarships for transfer students.
For questions or more information, please contact email@example.com
The Michigan Transfer Agreement and Course Credit Transfer
Spring Arbor University (SAU) recognizes the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) among Michigan two-year and four-year colleges (some four-year schools are also senders). If the college you previously attended grants the Michigan Transfer Agreement and you fulfill the criteria, you might have already completed many of our liberal arts requirements.
Michigan Transfer Agreement
The Michigan Transfer Agreement requires you to complete courses from the following areas as specified by your sending college.
- 1 course in English Composition
- A second course in English Composition or 1 course in Communication — SAU recommends that you take the equivalent of our ENG 104, College Writing
- 1 course in Mathematics
- 2 courses in Social Sciences (from two disciplines)
- 2 courses in Humanities and Fine Arts (from two disciplines and excluding studio and performance classes)
- 2 courses in Natural Sciences including one with laboratory experience (from two disciplines)
If the total hours for these courses do not equal at least 30 semester credit hours, you must take additional credits from the approved MTA course list until 30 credits are earned. Note: SAU will continue to accept the previous MACRAO Transfer Agreement through the summer of 2019. The MTA is the most recent statewide transfer agreement and was designed to facilitate the transfer of general education requirements from one institution to another. The MTA is effective for students starting at a community college fall 2014 or later. If you have met the MTA and it is noted on your official transcript by the sending institution, it will be applied to meet the following general education requirements at SAU:
- University Liberal Arts and Competency Requirements (34 hours)
- Communication Skills
- Freshman Composition (if the equivalent of ENG 104 is transferred)
- Physical Fitness
- Fine Arts
- Art History or Appreciation
- Music History or Appreciation
- Humanities Literature
- Natural Science (requires a lab experience)
- Philosophy and Theology
- One Philosophy
- Two Bible
- Social Science
- Psychology, Sociology or Economics
- Communication Skills
In addition, each transferable course will be individually evaluated and could also be used to meet major/minor or other degree requirements.
View a list of course equivalencies.
SAU has been a participant in the MACRAO Agreement since it originated in the 1970s. The MACRAO Agreement was designed to facilitate the transfer of general education requirements from one institution to another. If you have met the MACRAO Agreement and it is noted on your official transcript, it will be applied to meet most of the general education requirements at SAU, just as indicated for the MTA. In addition, each transferable course will be individually evaluated and could also be used to meet competency, major/minor requirements and/or other degree requirements.
The MACRAO Agreement requires you to complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of college-level credit in the following areas as specified by your community college:
- English Composition (6 semester hours)
- Natural Science (8 semester hours in more than one discipline, at least one science course must include a laboratory)
- Social Science (8 semester hours in more than one discipline)
- Humanities (8 semester hours in more than one discipline)
Please note that this agreement is being replaced by the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) for students starting at a community college fall 2014 or later. SAU will continue to accept the MACRAO Transfer Agreement through the summer of 2019. A student currently pursuing the MACRAO agreement may choose to instead complete the MTA.